Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Translate this page

For Braille, large print or audio, please contact us.

Who works with Gypsies, Travellers and Showpeople in York, North Yorkshire & East Riding?

The local authorities of York, North Yorkshire & East Riding and the County Council are working together and with external partners to increase awareness of Gypsy, Roma, Traveller and Showpeople issues. Officer representatives from Housing and Planning departments of each council have had specific training to better understand the needs and lifestyle of the GTRS community.

North Yorkshire County Council own seven authorised GTRS sites across the county, there sites are leased to managers who manage every aspect of these sites on their behalf. 

Horton Housing are commissioned by the County Council to provide  GaTEWAY - a support service for the settled and travelling community. This service assists GRTS to access accommodation and other services, such as health and education.

Ryedale District Council also own and manage a site and the City of York also own three permanent, authorised Traveller sites, providing a total of 61 individual pitches which are managed by the Council. East Riding of Yorkshire provide 3 sites providing 61 pitches. For more information, click here.

Various agencies including Friends, Families & Travellers and the York Travellers Trust offer multiple services designed to support GTRS groups in North Yorkshire in every aspect of their lives.

Contact details for departments and support agencies are available via the links page. Support is also available via the Home Improvement Agencies operating across the area, including in relation to works through Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs). Links to the Home Improvement Agencies (HIAs) in North Yorkshire and their contact details can be found here

Cookie Policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Do you accept?